The laboratory performs research based on “In Silico” methods, physicochemical and biopharmaceutical analysis for pharmaceutical purposes. Potential partners and clients of the laboratory can be research teams with similar scientific interests in our country or abroad, as well as manufacturers of generic drugs, food supplements, cosmetics, etc. The laboratory is part of the Biopharmaceutical Laboratory Complex “BioPharma”.
- Full characterization of raw materials, intermediate and final products, as well as long term and accelerated stability
- Development of pharmaceutical and nutraceutical formulations
- External quality control for pharma companies
- Complete physicochemical characterization of new chemical entities (required for every drug)
- Ligand-based drug design. Quantitative structure/bioactivity relationships (QSAR) and 3D QSAR; Prediction of physicochemical properties
- Quantitative chemical structure/property relationships (QSPR)
- Prediction of pharmacokinetic behavior. Quantitative chemical structure/pharmacokinetics relationships (QSPhR)
- Development and biopharmaceutical characterization of pharmaceutical and nutraceutical forms. Funding: Bulgarian and foreign pharmaceutical companies. PI: Assoc. Prof. Christo Tzachev, Current.
- IT-based design of novel drugs to treat Alzheimer’s disease. Funding: Center of Excellence for Informatics and ICT. PI: Prof. Irini Doychinova, 2018 – 2023.
- New inhibitors of acetylcholinesterase to treat Alzheimer’s disease. Funding: Bulgarian Science Fund. PI: Prof. Irini Doychinova, 2017 – 2020.
- Innovative food supplements from Bulgarian plants and microorganisms. Stage I. Testing of scientific hypotheses. Funding: R&D Consortium, Sofia Techpark. PI: Assoc. Prof. Christo Tzachev, 2018
- In vitro and in vivo studies of a newly synthesized galanthamine derivative with potent anticholinesterase activity. Funding: Medical Research Council, MU-Sofia. PI: Prof. Irini Doychinova, 2017
- Development and biopharmaceutical characterization of pharmaceutical and nutraceutical forms. Funding: Bulgarian pharmaceutical companies. PI: Assoc. Prof. Christo Tzachev, 2016 – 2018
- Development of pharmaceutical and nutraceutical forms.
- Biopharmaceutical characterization of pharmaceutical and nutraceutical forms:
– determination of disintegration, dustiness and mechanical strength of tablets;
– determination of bulk density, residual humidity and particle size of powders and granules;
– determination of dissolution kinetics of solid dosage forms;
– determination of disintegration of suppositories.
- Determination of affinity constants by the method of isothermal titration calorimetry.
- In vitro determination of permeability through intestinal mucosa, blood-brain barrier and skin by PAMPA method.
- Experimental determination of water solubility, lipid solubility and ionization constants.
- Tableting: Erweka model EP-1 single- punch tablet press
- Granulation and film wrapping: Erweka model AR 403
- Drying, pelleting and coating: Mini-Glatt / GLATT 14528
- Disintegration test: ELECTROLAB Model ED-2 SAPO
- Disolution test: Erweka Model DT 826
- Fritability Test: ELECTROLAB Model EF-2W
- Test of tablet mechanical strength: ELECTROLAB Model ESB-2PRL
- Bulk density test for granules and powders ELECTROLAB model ЕTD-1020
- Residual moisture test: Precisa Gravimetrics model XM60 measurement device
- Digital Sieve Analyzer for Granules and Powders Octagon 200 Endecotts
- Suppository disintegration test: LECTROLAB model ESDT-3
- UV/VIS Spectrophotometer Dynamic Halo DB-20S Dynamica
- Vertical ultrasonic homogenizer Bandelin model SONOPULS HD3100
- Encapuslator B-395 Pro
- Climate Stability Chamber KBF P 240
- Isothermal titration calorimeter nanoITC TA Instruments
- Equipment for experimental determination of water solubility, ionization constant, partition and distribution coefficients, PION Inc.
- PAMPA (Parallel Artificial Membrane Permeability Assay), PION Inc.
Scientific fields: Physical Chemistry, Cheminformatics, Computational Chemistry, Mathematical Modeling in Chemistry;
Lecturer in Physical Chemistry, Thermodynamics & Kinetics, Applied Molecular Spectroscopy and Statistics at the Faculty of Chemistry and Pharmacy of the University of Sofia. Professor and senior researcher in New University of Lisbon, Portugal;
Co-author of over 40 scientific publications with over 800 citations.
Co-founder of InnovesT LTD, startup spin-off company.
Sofia, bul. Tsarigradsko Shousse 111
Laboratory Complex, Floor 2
Phone: + 359 889 900 614
LABORATORY ENQUIRY FOR YOUR PROJECT: