3D Creativity and New Products Rapid Prototyping Lab is a part of Laboratory Complex. The main objective of the rapid prototyping laboratory is to develop a research capacity for the application of innovative technologies for materialization of virtual 3D models with complex forms in a very short time. This lab’s mission is to create innovative practices and to build unique and accessible opportunities for research and development in the field of 3D creativity through systems for quick physical manifestation of new ideas and products in order to shorten the time to market.
Specific goals of the laboratory are:
1.To develop the innovative potential and technological level of researchers and business.
2.To increase the economic efficiency of innovation processes and creativity.
3.To increase private investment in these processes.
4.Fast construction of conceptual, pre-series or unique products and models from ceramics, plastics, etc. materials.
- Application of high technologies in the area of Reverse Engineering using a unique for Bulgaria 3D high precision contact and non-contact measuring system and specialized software.
- Building of conceptual, preproduction or unique products using 3D Printing technology (Low Volume Production) from polymeric materials.
- Building of conceptual, preproduction or unique products and building of preproduction or industrial moulding metal tools through the Laser Additive & High Speed Milling technology.
- Quick construction of conceptual, preproduction or unique products and models from ceramics, plastics and other materials.
Framework agreement for strategic partnership with Liebherr-Hausgeräte Marica EOOD in the field of 3D technologies, additive, mechanical and hybrid manufacturing, researches, optimizations, diagnostics, 3D scanning, metrology and rapid prototyping of mold tools as well as other project, innovative and research activities.
Consultations, re-design and production of а gearbox for the Bulgarian super car, a product of the company “Kinetik automotive”.
Development of new methods for rapid tooling, repairing and modifications of mold tools, together with Arexim Engineering JSC
3D design and manufacturing of a mold tool for safety goggles serial production. The task is set by the Ministry of Economy of Republic of Bulgaria and is imposed by the state of Emergency in Bulgaria, related with COVID-19 and is performed together with “Arexim Engineering” JSC.
Design and development of a mold tool for serial production of safety goggles in extremely short terms, The safety goggels will serve for medical personnel, police officers and other first line employees in the fight against the spread of COVID-19.
The project implementation from task setting to the start of serial production was completed within two weeks. This success is a result of the collaboration of the experts of Laboratory “3D creativity and new products rapid prototyping ” at Sofia Tech Park, laboratory “CAD / CAM / CAE in industry” at the Technical University of Sofia and the industrial company “Arexim Engineering JSC”. The product has an original design and a high protection level and was developed in the context of anti-epidemic measures against the spread of COVID-19.
For the manufacturing process of the molding tool, a 5-axis milling machine, part of the DMG Mori Lasertec 65 3D hybrid system located in the laboratory, was used. Currently, the goggles are certified to comply with the requirements according to the Annex II of Regulation (EU) 2016/425 on personal protective equipement and are serial produced by the company “AREXIM Engineering”, which are a strategic partner of Sofia Tech Park and the Research and Development and Innovative Consortium.
Validation of functionality of a mold told
Validation of functionality of a mold told (metrology, geometry deviation, mutual disposition), wearing identification, options for repairing and modifications.
As a result of the implementation of the project a new service was developed by lab. “Rapid prototyping and 3D creativity” including activities for validation of the functionality of molding tools (metrics, deviations from the shape, mutual disposition) and identification of the degree of wear. This service will be offered to companies in Bulgaria and abroad dealing with the production of plastic parts and molding tools. Based on the validation of the identified deviations, greater than the allowable ones, a next new service is developed for mold tools working capacity restoration and modifications with the available equipment and technologies in the laboratory.
Superposing of a pre-made tomographic reconstruction in real time over visible parts of a patient by using the technological capabilities of augmented reality.
The project goal is to observe a 3D model of parts of human skeletal system, obtained by preliminary tomographic reconstruction, superimposed on the visible surfaces of a patient in real time using the technological capabilities of augmented reality.
That would help the doctors to determine the type and exact location of the trauma when observing a patient before the operation, which will improve the effectiveness and accuracy of the medical intervention.
The developed methodology for reconstruction of a three-dimensional model based on a series of tomographic images has been applied to create a three-dimensional virtual model of a human head, skull and ventricles. A method for alignment of a virtual model based on the tomography with patient’s head is developed. The method uses the alignment of markers built-in in the virtual model to the recognized visual targets. That would help the doctors to determine the type and exact location of the trauma when observing a patient before the operation, which will improve the effectiveness and accuracy of the medical intervention.
Potentialities of additive technologies in the creation of metal structures using direct and indirect methods
- Process study of direct construction of metal structures using laser deposition additive technology in the hybrid system Lasertec 65 3D to identify the main process parameters and assess their impact on the geometric properties of the obtained 3D objects.
- Identification of the main parameters of the process of indirect construction of metal structures in the field of additive technologies.
- A study of the process of direct construction of metal structures by adding material in a hybrid system Lasertec 65 3D to identify the main process parameters and assess their impact on the geometric properties of the obtained 3D objects was successfully done. The optimal process parameters for various materials are determined The most modern technologies and approaches are used to build a turbine blade part and to evaluate the geometrical properties of the obtained objects.
- The process for indirect construction of metal structures by using the system Voxeljet VX500 for additive creation of sand casting molds can be competitive with the SLM process and conventional technologies in the custom implants manufacturing. Thus way, the time for implant creation can be shortened, which is crucial in many cases. The amount of material used to cast an implant is also less, compared to manufacturing, by material removal technology or the SLM process, in which the powder used is only partially recyclable (it should be mixed with unused powder to reuse it).
3D printing of a form for manufacturing of mold tool, which will be used for plastic parts production, ordered by “Playground Energy”.
Construction of casting equipment for a small series production of specific hydraulic elements from the range of “BADESTNOST” JSC.
Validation of geometric parameters of high-precision castings from a SUV model of Rolls Royce Automotive.
- Consultation on 3D modeling, rapid prototyping technologies and parts production;
- 3D modeling and design of parts, assemblies and products;
- 3D scanning;
- Comparative analysis between physical and computer models;
- High precise metrology;
- Manufacturing of metal parts;
- Manufacturing of plastic parts;
- Production of casting equipment and 3D printing;
- Validation of functionality of a mold told (metrology, geometry deviation, mutual disposition), wearing identification
- Manufacturing and repairing of mold tools.
Rapid prototyping system with integral metal addition and high speed routing.
Workspace for workpieces up to 650 mm, 360 mm in height and 1000 kg in weight.
Materials: AISI 316L, Inconel 625/718, super alloy alloys (based on Co and Cr).
Rapid prototyping system for sand and ceramics.
Workspace: 500 x 400 x 300 mm.
Materials: Silica sand with furan bond (concentration <2%).
Rapid prototyping system and rapid production of plastic elements.
Workspace: 1000 x 1000 x 1000 mm.
Materials: ABS, PLA.
Scientific fields: Virtual engineering; Optimization of systems; CAD/CAM/ CAE; Rapid Prototyping; Mechatronic products, MEMS; Means of flexible automation; Dimensional design.
In 1987, he graduated at Technical University – Sofia. Specializations in the UK, and Japan.
Professor at the Technical University – Sofia and dean of the ITF.
Guest lecturer at University of Science and Technology, Hebrew.
Author of more than 140 articles in his scientific fields and has over 110 completed projects in industrial, national and international programs.