This unit carries out R&D on specific topics in the field of next generation telecommunication networks and Internet of Things. The main directions of research work are related to next-generation architectures and technologies for access networks, self-organizing networks, 5G mobile communications, IoT and machine-to-machine communications, signal processing and different applications of information and communication technologies. The unit is equipped with high-performance computers and specialized software for modeling and simulation experiments.
The “Intelligent Communications Infrastructure” (ICI) laboratory is a facility performing R&D in the field of advanced telecommunications technologies, their future development and applications. The laboratory is composed of two separate units working in different fields of research and innovation:
- Railway Traffic ManagementIn the Railway Traffic Management Unit testing, performance analysis of devices and R&D for the ERTMS – European Rail Traffic Management System is performed. This unit is specialized in the development of methodologies and procedures for testing and validation of industrial solutions and components for ERTMS. Its main activities are in the field of railway signaling and control, including but not limited to: R&D and testing of components and devices; solutions for maintenance, validation, modeling and simulation of devices and systems; training of staff. In this unit are tested and analyzed the configuration and performance of all the different on-board units and their communication with the rail infrastructure, which allows the improvement of the control of the train and the evaluation of the capacity of the ERTMS lines. This unit supports and strengthens research and development activities with respect to: GSM-R, the radio-blocking, signaling, etc.
- Smart Communications and Internet of Things -This unit carries out R&D on specific topics in the field of next generation telecommunication networks and Internet of Things. The main directions of research work are related to next-generation architectures and technologies for access networks, self-organizing networks, 5G mobile communications, IoT and machine-to-machine communications, signal processing and different applications of information and communication technologies. The unit is equipped with high-performance computers and specialized software for modeling and simulation experiments.
1. Training of students, PhD students, operators and administrators to work with the laboratory’s infrastructure systems.
2. Analysis, research, design of subsystems of the railway infrastructure telecommunication infrastructure, including:
- Optical networks
- Cable networks
- Information System
- Synchronization network
- Computer network
- Data centre
- Standard on-board equipment testing (European Vital Computer (EVC) Unit):
- Complete EVC testing in accordance with Subset-076 -;
- Complete EVC testing in accordance with Subset-094
- Testing of remote equipment in accordance with Subset-111;
- Preparation of Infrastructure Data in accordance with Subset-112.
- Eurobalise and BTM related research, development, testing and analysis of device performance.
Research and testing of the on-board equipment – Balise Transmission Module BTM and the road equipment – balises and road electronic devices (LEU) can be performed. These devices are essential components of the European Train Control System (ETCS). The analysis, testing and validation of Eurobalise and BTMs necessary to verify the interoperability and suitability for use of these constituents can be carried out. All mandatory tests according to the requirements of the Control-Command and Signaling (TSI) TSI and the customer-specific tests for the development of new Eurobalis and BTM can be performed.
- Research, development, testing and analysis of the communication between balises and on-board equipment
Performance analysis can be done in accordance with all requirements of UNISIG SUBSET-036 – Form-Fit Functional Interface Specification (FFFIS) for Eurobalise and UNISIG SUBSET-085 – Test Specification for Eurobalise FFFIS..Devices can be tested according to all versions (baselines) of the ETCS: baseline 2; baseline 3, maintenance version 1 and baseline 3, version 2.
The laboratory is fully equipped with the latest technology solutions for testing specific products and systems in the field of rail transport. Four such laboratories are available in Europe – in Spain, Italy, Belgium and Bulgaria, and this one in Bulgaria.
Professor since 2011; Dean of the Faculty of Telecommunications (2007-2015);
Chairman of the “Bulgarian Telecommunications Cluster” and Vice Chairman of the General Assembly of the European Telecommunications Standards Institute;
Author of more than 130 scientific publications in international conferences and journals and has supervised several national and international scientific – research, applied and engineering projects.