MINOLab’s mission is to setup, maintain and develop applied and innovative research, testing, analysis, design and prototyping for printed circuit boards (PCBs), micro- and nanoelectronics with an accent on electromagnetic compatibility, RFID, MEMS, and biomedical applications.
The goal is to solve problems originating from real world applications in electronics, microelectronics and nanoelectronics, development hi-tech as well as affordable methods and tools for design, modelling and testing.
At MINOLab we deliver services for root cause analysis of failures and defects in electronic devices. We also provide research and development (R&D) and optimization of novel devices, products and systems.
- Early detection and analysis of failures in micro- and nanoelements, devices, modules, systems, prototypes
- Measurements and characterization of integrated circuits and systems, PCBs and devices
- Design at circuit and component level, prototyping
- Development and testing of devices at circuit and system level including embedded systems
- Training in electrical engineering, micro- and nanoelectronics for company employees, students, experts, etc.
- MINOLab partners in 2 ongoing projects for grants BG16RFOP002-1.005 “Development of product and manufacturing innovations” of Operational Programme “Innovation and Competitiveness” 2014-2020
- MINOLab partners in a project for setting up a network in robotics through Digital Innovation Hubs (DIHs), Grant Agreement № 824964 “DIH2 – A Network of Robotics DIHs for Agile Production” по процедура H2020-DT-2018-2020/H2020-DT-2018-1. Leading partner is VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland Ltd.
- Extensive cooperation with the Technology Transfer Unit within the EU Joint Research Centre (JRC)
- Cooperation with the companies from the Cluster of Microelectronics and Industrial Electronics Systems and companies from the industries of microelectronics, nanoelectronics, industrial electronics, automotive, etc.
- Collaboration with the Technical University of Sofia with regards to diploma projects and theses, PhD dissertations, and R&D projects
- Cooperation with the Technology High School of Electronics Systems
- Collaboration initiatives pursuant to the MoU with IMEC Academy (Belgium) with the support of Sofia Tech Park AD.
Completed project with topic “Modeling, characterization, testing and development of printed circuit boards for applications in industrial electronics”, Contract Д-057-2018/20.06.2018.
MINOLab partnered in 2 completed projects for grants BG16RFOP002-1.005 “Development of product and manufacturing innovations” of Operational Programme “Innovation and Competitiveness” 2014-2020
Realization of the priorities set in the National Roadmap of Research Infrastructures.
Laboratory portfolio extension in the context of the new Phase 3 of Sofia Tech Park project under the Operational Programme “Innovation and Competitiveness” 2014-2020.
Reinforcing the cooperation with universities from Bulgaria, Europe and world-wide.
- visual inspection
- in-depth detection of defects
- X-Ray inspection
- structural characterisation of thin films
- measurement of layer thicknesses
- high precision micro cutting
- layer removal
- decapsulation of ICs
- measurements and characterization of microelectronics devices
- NDT thermography
- prototyping of PCBs
- XRF Spectrometer
- SAM microscope
- X-Ray Inspection System
- Shear stress Bondtester
- Ion milling and polishing machine
- Emission Microscope (EMMI)
- Plasma Decapsulator
- Curve Tracer
- Optical microscopes
Areas of expertise: modelling of semiconductor devices, design of integrated circuits and printed circuit boards, advanced materials, bioelectronics, renewable energy sources, electromobility.
Master in Physics from Sofia University “St. Kliment Ohridski” (1999). Specialization “Business Management” in Japan (2001). PhD in Microelectronics, topic “Investigation of sub micron microelectronics structures”, Technical University of Sofia (2008). Training for managers in “Cluster Management” by Harvard Business School (2016).
Career. Design and modelling engineer in Technology Centre – Institute of Microelectronics (1999). PhD student in the Technical University of Sofia (TUS) (2003-2006), assistant professor (2007), associate professor (2013), deputy chair of Department of Microelectronics (2014), chair of Department of Microelectronics, FETT (2015); member of Academic Council of TUS (2006 and 2018). Director of Information and Public Relations directorate at the Technical University of Sofia (2020).
Experience in the industry. Founder and manager of R&D company (2006), head of MINOLab in Sofia Tech Park (2016), chairman of the Managing Board of Cluster of Microelectronics and Industrial Electronics Systems (2016).
KPIs. Author and co-author of 96 papers (in Scopus: papers – 44, citations – 52, h-index – 4), 4 books, 1 textbook, participation in 32 national and international projects; in Who’s Who in the World (2009). Lecturer of 5 courses in TUS; delivered lectures in University of Genoa (Italy), University of Aveiro (Portugal), Southampton Solent University (UK), etc.; supervisor of 6 PhD students, of which 1 successfully graduated PhD student; supervisor of over 50 successfully graduated bachelor and master students.
Expertise. Modeling of semiconductor devices with submicron and nano dimensions (compact modeling); microelectronics (VLSI) and nanotechnologies and their applications in energy industry, RES, energy efficiency; advanced materials; business management and project management.