The BioPharm Lab Complex includes three well integrated laboratories and a supporting analytical center: — Laboratory for extraction of natural products and synthesis of bioactive compounds; — “In vitro” laboratory for evaluation of biological activity and toxicity; — Pharmaceutical development and characterization and “In Silico“ design. The lab complex is designed to perform problem-driven and industryoriented R&D directed to efficient, value-added and environmentally-friendly utilization of the national bio-resources and valorization of industry byproducts and bio-wastes to obtain products with high added value.
- Human and mammalian cell cultures for testing and characterization of biological activities of various extracts and purified bioactive compounds.
- Antimicrobial activities of various extracts and individual biologically active compounds.
- Plant cell and tissue cultures for propagation and maintaining of valuable MAPs accessions and cell lines.
- Bacterial, yeast and fungi cultures for obtaining and biotransformation of bioactive compounds and production of recombinant proteins.
- Various applications of molecular biology and recombinant DNA methods including molecular marker applications for genotyping and genetic authenticity analysis, gene expression analysis, tailor-made expression vectors construction and various expression studies.
- Ecotoxicology testing and valuation of various industry products, wastes, bioactive extracts and compounds.
– Determination of antimicrobial activity against pathogenic microorganisms (Staphylococcus aureus, Escherichia coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Candida albicans) of plant extracts, essential oils and chemical compounds.
– Study of particular probiotic properties and characteristics of potential probiotic strains of genus Lactobacillus. Antibacterial activity against test-pathogenic microorganisms.
– In vitro testing of cytotoxicity and antioxidant activity of sample biologically active compounds on human and animal cell lines.
– In vitro propagation and maintenance of plant cell and tissue cultures of valuable cell lines of medicinal and aromatic plants.
– Acquisition of cell biomass of lactic acid bacteria and cultural filtrate for development of probiotic and antimicrobial products.
– Application of yeast and fungal fermentation in modification of the composition and utilization of waste waters of rose oil distillation, enriched in phenolic compounds. Characterization of the composition changes of extracts of cultural media and cell biomass.
Scientific fields: Molecular genetics. Cloning, characterization and expression of genes. Recombinant proteins. Molecular markers. Plant Genetic Resources. Plant Biotechnology
Plant Biotechnology Since 2012 – Doctor of Biological Sciences’ Agrobioinstitute Sofia Since 2013 – Professor and Head of Molecular Genetics Group Specializations: 2014 Technical University Braunschweig; 2005-2008 University of Manchester; 2001 ICGEB New Delhi; 1998-1999 Ecole Normale Superieure de Lyon; 1994-1996 Life Science Center, Japan Tobacco Inc. More than 80 articles and over 15 completed projects in the field of molecular genetics and plant biotechnology