The BioPharm Lab Complex includes three well integrated laboratories and a supporting analytical center: — Laboratory for extraction of natural products and synthesis of bioactive compounds; — “In vitro” laboratory for evaluation of biological activity and toxicity; — Pharmaceutical development and characterization and “In Silico“ design. The lab complex is designed to perform problem-driven and industry oriented R&D directed to efficient, value-added and environmentally-friendly utilization of the national bio-resources and valorization of industry byproducts and bio-wastes to obtain products with high added value.
- Application of green extraction technologies for utilization of Medicinal Aromatic Plants (MAPs).
- Fractioning and purification of extracts, investigation of the content of active ingredients and their biological activity.
- Determination of activity profiles and development of standard procedures and documentation for phytochemical production, oriented to small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs).
- Development of standardization and control procedures for MAPs-based products, with the purpose to guarantee the consumer’s interests.
- Isolation of individual biologically active compounds, structure elucidation and synthesis of natural compounds analogues, possessing structural diversity and bioactivity (identification of promising compounds for development of drug candidates).
- Development of procedures for extraction of biologically active components from medicinal plants. Preparation of pilot quantities of standardized bioactive extracts accompanied by analytical and others protocols
- Development of methods for analysis of mixtures of natural compounds, components for incorporation in cosmetic products, and final pharmaceutical formulations.
- Development of methodologies for analysis of natural products by high-performance thin-layer chromatography (HPTLC).
- Development of methods and procedures for synthesis, as well as obtaining of specified quantities of organic compounds ordered by pharmaceutical companies.
- Development of methods for the control of compounds in plant extracts (eg caffeic acid, rosmarinic acid, quercetin, etc.);
- Authentication of rose oil by GC-MS analysis.
– Development of a method for quantitative determination of pyrrolizidine alkaloids in dry plant material (herbs)
– Characterization and standardization of the various types of essential oil of Melissa officinalis (Lemon Balm oil);
– Development of new approaches for verifying the authenticity of Rose and Lavender oils;
– Development of methods for monitoring of natural products by high performance thin layer chromatography (HPTLC);
– Development of a method for the determination of allergens in essential oils and cosmetic formulations.
Preparation of bioactive extracts from medicinal plants for the creation of innovative products
- GC with QTOF MS / MS detector
- GC with FID and MS detectors
- Triple Quadrupole Mass Spectrometer – LCMS-8045
- Liquid Chromatograph with Diode Array Detector and Single Quadrupole Mass Spectrometer – LCMS-2020
- Liquid Chromatograph with Diode Array Detector and Fluorescence Detector – Nexera X2.
- Apparatuses for automatic application, development, functionalization and densitometry of TLC / HPTLC plates;
- Flash chromatographs;
- Multi-purpose 5 liter reactor;
- Laboratory equipment for extraction of natural products and synthesis of organic compounds (reactors, rotary vacuum evaporators, vacuum installations, etc.)
Dissertation (Dr. rer. Nat.) at the Technical University of Leuna-Merseburg; 2002 “Doctor of chemical sciences” HAC; 1989-1990 Scholarship Foundation Alexander von Humboldt; 1992 and 1998-2001 researcher at the University of Zurich;
Numerous lectures at foreign universities and international conferences; Numerous articles in international journals;
Many completed contracts in the EU framework programs, international funds, etc; contracts with pharmaceutical companies. Contracts in the EU framework programs, international funds, etc .; contracts with pharmaceutical companies.