The BioPharm Lab Complex includes three well integrated laboratories and a supporting analytical center: — Laboratory for extraction of natural products and synthesis of bioactive compounds; — “In vitro” laboratory for evaluation of biological activity and toxicity; — Pharmaceutical development and characterization and “In Silico“ design. The lab complex is designed to perform problem-driven and industryoriented R&D directed to efficient, value-added and environmentally-friendly utilization of the national bio-resources and valorization of industry byproducts and bio-wastes to obtain products with high added value.
- Full characterization of raw materials, intermediate and final products, as well as long term and accelerated stability
- Development of pharmaceutical and nutraceutical formulations
- External quality control for pharma companies
- Complete physicochemical characterization of new chemical entities (required for every drug)
- Ligand-based drug design. Quantitative structure/bioactivity relationships (QSAR) and 3D QSAR; Prediction of physicochemical properties
- Quantitative chemical structure/property relationships (QSPR)
- Prediction of pharmacokinetic behavior. Quantitative chemical structure/pharmacokinetics relationships (QSPhR)
- Development of pharmaceutical and nutraceutical forms.
- Biopharmaceutical characterization of pharmaceutical and nutraceutical forms:
– determination of disintegration, dustiness and mechanical strength of tablets;
– determination of bulk density, residual humidity and particle size of powders and granules;
– determination of dissolution kinetics of solid dosage forms;
– determination of disintegration of suppositories.
- Determination of affinity constants by the method of isothermal titration calorimetry.
- In vitro determination of permeability through intestinal mucosa, blood-brain barrier and skin by PAMPA method.
- Experimental determination of water solubility, lipid solubility and ionization constants.
Scientific fields: drug design, bioinformatics, computational chemistry and biology;
Lecturer in Physical Pharmacy and Pharmacokinetics at the Faculty of Pharmacy of the Medical University of Sofia.
Co-author of over 120 scientific publications with over 3000 citations and 4 textbooks for students in Pharmacy.
She holds the Golden Panacea Prize of the Medical University of Sofia and the Pythagoras Prize in Medical Sciences of the Ministry of Education and Science.