Bioinformatics Lab Bioinfotech
- Development of an automated system for the generation virtual metabolic networks. We are developing a software capable of retrieving the complete list of enzymatic reactions of an organism defined by the user from the free internet databases. The obtained results are cross-checked between all the existing databases. This system would allow for the accelerated development of Systems Biology and Bioinformatics projects, especially in the applied fields of Industrial Biotechnology, Pharmaceutics and Retrosynthetic Metabolic Pathway development.
- Development of a novel approach for the optimization of metabolic networks through Flux Balance Analysis. The existing optimization techniques are largely based on the simplex algorithm, therefore being severely limited. We are developing novel algorithms aimed at the finding of local solutions of the optimization task based on the principles of thermodynamic chemical equilibrium, which allows for the analysis of not just the stationary state, but also of the process dynamics. The latter would be used for the improvement of bioprocesses not just quantitavely, but also qualitatively and for rendering more efficient the existing industrial biotechnology.
- Development of a complete system for Metagenomic data analysis.
- Development of laboratory equipment for the facilitation of assisted reproduction in humane and veterinary medicine. We envision the engineering of devices increasing the efficiency (success rate, reduction of time and cost, etc.) of the process of vital spermatozoid selection, in vitro fertilization, ICSI, as well as egg cell incubation. The engineering of the devices should be joint effort with partner organizations (start-up companies, fertility clinics, etc.)
- Development of instrumentation for the express detection of pathogens in liquid samples (blood, food, etc.). The sensing method is based on the antigen-antibody reaction and surface acoustic waves.
- Development of laboratory equipment for the facilitation of high-throughput characterization of super-producer strains. The engineered devices will allow for the parallel performance of a high number of experiments characterized by strict monitoring of the environmental conditions (medium compound, chemistry and physics). We envision application of this technique in the field of Industrial Biotechnology. There is a possibility for a cooperation with leading producers of animal feed and additives, active substances, pharmaceutics, etc.
Biotechnology and Cell Biology
- Development of highly efficient methods for bioprocess cultures post processing for protein and other active substances extraction with application in the fields of nutrition, humane and veterinary medicine.
- Research of the possibility for utilization of X-rays instead of gamma radiation for the treatment of bioactive substances. Preliminary consultations with leading oncology and hematology clinics have already been conducted.
- Research of the potential and development of methods and instrumentation for the application of stem cells in treatment of incurable diseases such as Alzheimer, Type I diabetes, Myocardial infarction, etc.
- Research of the potential for biotechnological production of amino acids from substrates with zero or negative cost.
Virtual and Augmented Reality Lab
- Investigation of imaging methods for computer game generators
- Application for self-study of folk dances with an accessible tracking system
- Expanded reality for cultural and historical sites
- Virtual reality for cultural and historical sites
- Development of paradigms for interaction in a virtual environment
3D Creativity and New Products Rapid Prototyping Laboratory
Construction of casting equipment for a small series production of specific hydraulic elements from the range of “BADESTNOST” JSC.
Validation of geometric parameters of high-precision castings from a SUV model of Rolls Royce Automotive.
3D printing of a form for manufacturing of mold tool, which will be used for plastic parts production, ordered by “Playground Energy”.
Artificial Intelligence and CAD Systems Lab
Key Words: Advertisment, Electroencephalography (EEG), Електроенцефалография (ЕЕГ), Emotiv Epoc, Matlab
Short Description: Thanks to the ability of detecting human emotions by the electroencephalographic device Emotiv Epoc, experts from the “Artificial Intelligence and CAD Systems” Laboratory, together with a team from the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, developed a system allowing real-time testing of advertisements. Through it, businesses and companies have the opportunity to test the impact of their ads before they are released to the general public. The system provides detailed information about the viewer’s status every second of the ad. The main programming product used in the project – “Matlab”.
Control of a NAO humanoid robot using human brainwaves
Key Words: Bluetooth, EEG, Еmotiv Epoc, Humanoid, Nao, Python
Short Description: The idea of the project is to use a Aldebaran Nao v3 humanoid robot that can be controlled by using signals from the brain activity. For this purpose, a headset called the “Emotiv Epoch” is used to capture brain activity in real time. Additional software products connecting the EEG hardware to the robot have been developed. The main programming language used in the project is “Python 2.7”.
High Performance Computing Laboratory
1. D. Dimova, S. Pisov, A. Proykova, Magnetism Of Bilayer Graphene With Vacancies, Advanced Materials Proceedings, Volume 2, Issue 12, Page 779-782, Year 2017 | DOI: 10.5185/amp.2017/914
2. D. Dimova, S. Pisov, N. Panchev, A. Proykova- The role of canonical ensemble in predicting the toluene film structure under external electric field, (accepted for publication in NANOSCIENCE AND NANOTECHNOLOGY, http://nsc-nt.ipc.bas.bg/page/en-topmenu/home.php).
3. Desislava Dimova, Stoyan Pisov, Nikolay Panchev, Miroslava Nedyalkova, Sergio Madurga, and Ana Proykova, Insight into electric field-induced rupture mechanism of water-in-toluene emulsion films from a model system. The Journal of Chemical Physics 146, 194703 (2017); doi: 10.1063/1.4983163.
4. High-Performance Scientific Computing: First JARA-HPC Symposium , JHPCS 2016, Aachen, Germany, October 4–5, 2016, Revised Selected Papers, Volume 10164 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Theoretical Computer Science and General Issues, eds. Edoardo Di Napoli, Marc-André Hermanns, Hristo Iliev , Andreas Lintermann, Alexander Peyser, Springer International Publishing, 2017, ISBN 3319538616.