“The supercomputer is of interest to the scientific community and the business. It will be able to solve European tasks using 35% of its capacity – the rest 65% will be used and implemented in Bulgaria. Also, the machine could be used for training of Bulgarian scientists in the field who in turn can train other experts to work with the computer.” That was said by Simeon Stoyanov, the Business Development Manager of Discoverer, in an interview for BNR’s show “Horizon until noon.
According to him, the supercomputer will be implemented in the development of new molecules for medicines and vaccines, for testing the characteristics of different technologies used in designing building or cars through their digital prototypes, for predicting natural disasters.
“Once the supercomputer starts working, European and Bulgarian scientists will be able to use it for simulations with a speed up to 4 million billion operations per second. The final tests showed even better performance than the expected one.” said Simeon Stoyanov. He explained that the needed documents for participation of the Bulgarian supercomputer in the TOP500 world’s most powerful supercomputer systems list are already submitted. The manager made clear that the supercomputer’s development is not ending with the turning on of the machine. There are already in place discussions with global high-tech leaders in order to add a module for simulating a quantum computer, that will be used not only for solving problems, but also for personnel training.
The whole conversation can be found here.